Much of my first day of 2009 was spent relaxing at home, but I had an opportunity to take a ride on the new light rail, and I took it. My friend Erik and I were deliberating on grabbing a bite to eat and thought it would be an experience to take the light rail to either Downtown Phoenix or Tempe for dinner and then take it to the end of the track and back. We settled on Tempe and went to Rula Bula, an Irish pub I enjoy. We were both debating on the same dinner items, shepherd's pie and corn beef and cabbage, so I suggested we order both and get extra plates to split them. Both were delicious, and then we toured Mill Avenue to pass time before the next train arrived.
The light rail is actually fairly nice for the time being. Each of the stops have interesting architectural design, sculptures, or facts about the area. Riding it was free through December, and it basically could have been free this evening as well, as nobody came by to check for our tickets. I was not complaining, it was $2.50 for an all day pass, so I was not exactly breaking the bank. For anyone who has been to other cities with subways or trains, there is not much to differentiate. That being said, there were some nice features like an indoor bike rack (four of them, to be exact) in each car for those wanting to ride their bikes for the intial and final legs of their trips.
From what we overheard from some friends, there was a problem with overcrowding during the complimentary month, but this was not an issue today. When we arrived at the end of the track there was a waiting period before we went "back to start." In this time, we walked around and investigated the tainstop. Being myself, I stood too close to the edge and hopped down onto the track momentarily. Upon returning to the platform and walking toward the opposite side, a security truck pulled over and told Erik it is a $150 fine for standing on the track, for future reference. He made this clear about three or four times before leaving, perhaps he actually wanted me to heed his advice as well. I found it comical that he appeared to blame my friend for my actions.
I cannot say how exactly I will use the light rail to my advantage. It is out of my way and a bit inconvenient in that respect, but I could see myself taking it downtown after work to go to a Suns or Diamondbacks game to avoid parking issues and the general downtown driving. It could also be useful in making a return venture to Mill Avenue on occasion. I just hope if becomes a helpful way for people to commute and that it does not get defaced, though I have already seen some graffiti and etchings in the windows. It is saddening that some people have the nerve to do such a thing, but I guess we need villains to maintain the balance.
I refuse to end it on that note, I finished the evening with a Frosty from Wendy's. Note that I did not call it a chocolate frosty, that would just be silly!
I like your end note. I like both Vanilla Frosty's and Frosty's. Yum!
ReplyDeleteThe light rail sounds interesting, maybe someday I'll try it, just not with 5 young children...
I want to try out the light rail. One night we should go to Mill and hang out. Could be fun. Or a guy who looks like Santa Claus might stab me... jiali.
ReplyDelete