Monday, October 20, 2008

Rebooting the 4Runner

Like I said in my previous post, I replaced the brakes and spark plugs so my check engine light was finally off and I could actually stop on my first try. I was incredibly excited to have a normal vehicle again. My first day back to work, as I was leaving, I noticed my truck made an extremely load sound upon ignition. After my initial reaction of bewilderment, I quickly diagnosed that it must have something to do with the exhaust, as someone attempted - but failed - to steal my catalytic converter. In that previous attempt, it was noticeably louder when I accelerated, but not nearly this loud. Before, there was a partial section cut, but not all the way through, which I had welded. This time, the criminal removed the entire catalytic converter. Not only did he steal that, but the way in which he did it was so sloppy that he ripped out my oxygen sensors (which retail around and above $100 apiece).

(In the image above, the arrows point to the sections of pipe that used to have a function. You'll also notice Dan's baby blue Eclipse in the background.)

I filed a police report immediately and got a hold of my insurance company to see if they covered this type of repair. Luckily, it was covered, but I had to pay the deductible, which, in addition to all the money I spent on the brakes and spark plugs a few days earlier, set me back quite a bit financially.

In summation, my catalytic converter was stolen in the parking lot at work (the Employee of the Month parking spot, no less) in broad day light. It confirms in my mind that the initial attempt of thievery happened at work as well. I am unsure if I will ever feel comfortable with my 4Runner in the parking lot while I am at work. Things could be worse, but it would be nice to catch a break when it comes to my vehicle's well being and my financial stability.

No comments:

Post a Comment