Sunday, January 30, 2011

Shouldering the Load

Greetings. I have nothing incredibly interesting to report from this past week, but life did happen. I have been playing basketball with some new acquaintances the past few months, and that has been fun. For quite a while, I have been meaning to get on the court again, but either circumstances or lack of motivation has prevented that. While my interest in the sport itself is waning, I still love to play and it is a great way to keep in shape, so long as I avoid spraining my ankles or incurring any other type of injury.

Lately, the ankles have held strong, however, I have found other ways to keep myself out of the gym. About a week before the last Turkey Bowl, I slightly hyper-extended my knee, then three weeks ago, I hurt both elbows. This week? My right shoulder decided it wanted to join in the rapture. I cannot recall exactly what happened, but it does not appreciate me moving it in certain ways. I can generally swing it front to back without much discomfort, but lifting it to the side is a chore.

Although this prevents me from playing ping pong, I find myself able to partake in the foosball shenanigans, which has been a relief with the stress of working on the sales newsletter at work. After witnessing enough posturing and self-adulation, I decided it was time to play for keeps, so I forged my way to my rightful place atop the rankings in short order. Surely at some point I will be dethroned, but I will do everything in my power to prolong my reign as champion. Can I fend them off for two weeks? A month?

Saturdays have more often than not become volleyball days with some friends I have made over the past year. I thought with my prior observations regarding my shoulder that I would still be able to serve, but that proved null and void when taking into account my violent delivery. As a result, I developed an effective underhand serve, but I hope not to resort to that the next time we play. It was fun, though brief since I had a late lunch with friends on the agenda.

I aspire to be at full strength soon and that this was just a minor setback. In the past, I injured my shoulder playing softball and it took around a year before it felt normal again. Optimistically, that will not be the case this time. My competitive drive will not keep me away for long...

2 comments:

  1. You have ping-pong shoulder? Sad.

    I hope you can keep yourself in one piece long enough to get back to your normal activities.

    I like your labels for this post and I'm glad you fixed it so people can comment! .)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the injury occurred from playing basketball. I did nearly get ping pong shoulder though, it was kind of bugging me from that for a bit, but nothing like this.

    Yeah, this is probably temporary, but at least it is interactive.

    ReplyDelete