So it has been a while since my last posting, and many interesting things have occurred in that time that I would love to backfill and perhaps will one day, but I've got to start somewhere, so here it is.
After briefly discussing the possibility with co-workers a few years ago (most of whom are no longer with the company), it has finally happened. We now have a ping pong table at work! Bill bought it from Danny, who brought it to work. After initially playing in a main hallway after work the day before Thanksgiving, we decided a relocation was imperative. I suggested Monique's old office as the most logical choice, as it was the largest unoccupied office remaining along with being off in a corner. As an added bonus, it has its own exterior door, which is nice, because that office is easily the hottest area in the NAC. We often use it for ventilation during a tough match or a nice day. It is a nice way to break up the day when staring at the computer screen in frustration trying to solve a problem and needing a quick reset. Only a few of us really play, but it seems as though more people are showing interest. As such, I suggested to Bill that we start playing left-handed so we can provide solid competition for beginners without discouraging them from continuing to learn. I still have much to learn as has been emphasized by the shellackings I endured this past week. Perhaps this stems from my interest in foosball.
Yes, we now have a foosball table at work as well. A few of the developers invested in a foosball table the day of our holiday party at work. One of them is very adept at the "sport," setting the bar for us to follow. Upon news that he would be leaving to pursue an employment opportunity elsewhere, I made it a goal to beat him before he left. More often than not up to that point, our matches were hardly competitive, but I improved under his tutelage. By Tuesday, I brought his reign of terror to an end and won a few more times by the week's close.
Overall, I think it took a while for foosball to garner enthusiasm around the workplace initially, but it has become more popular than ping pong. A larger variety of people play this, due in part to its placement in the breakroom and all the buzz that has been made regarding who is the best (Maverick is the best, everyone knows this). As a result, a ranking system has been implemented using ladder matches to determine such a winner on a day-to-day basis. I do my best to avoid this system, playing only unofficial matches against the upper echelon of competition, because I get more enjoyment from defeating them without boasting my name on the leader board for all to see. That being said, once I decide to join in the lunacy and win my way to the top, it will be fun to receive challenges, only to crush their dreams of one day becoming champion. Surely I cannot win them all, but I like my chances...
Overall, I think it took a while for foosball to garner enthusiasm around the workplace initially, but it has become more popular than ping pong. A larger variety of people play this, due in part to its placement in the breakroom and all the buzz that has been made regarding who is the best (Maverick is the best, everyone knows this). As a result, a ranking system has been implemented using ladder matches to determine such a winner on a day-to-day basis. I do my best to avoid this system, playing only unofficial matches against the upper echelon of competition, because I get more enjoyment from defeating them without boasting my name on the leader board for all to see. That being said, once I decide to join in the lunacy and win my way to the top, it will be fun to receive challenges, only to crush their dreams of one day becoming champion. Surely I cannot win them all, but I like my chances...
One thing is certain: we don't have to roll our eyes as much when hearing statements such as "Google meets Dreamworks" with these latest developments.
Google meets Dreamworks? Really? Like a giant green ogre that finds stuff?
ReplyDeleteI've never played ping pong or foosball, but I imagine I'd be horrible at both. Good luck keeping your title! .)
Nonsense! It just takes a little practice!
ReplyDelete...surely you could beat Janesse! ,)
Haha nice. Thanks Brett. I only played the one game against Jen and I think I scored the winning point for her. :) So what I'm number 10 on the ladder... yeah Amberle you probably could beat me. :)
ReplyDelete