The first two work days have come and gone, and I must say that it is very different. It just seems absolutely empty in the middle of the office. Attitudes of the staff, while trying to be somewhat normal, are definitely altered to an extent, and rightfully so. I was talking with Duerk about it today, and it appears I have lost about 80% of the people with whom I go to lunch. As a result, I will have to branch out a little more again, not that there's anything wrong with sharing lunchtime with Duerk nearly every day. There's usually never a dull moment.
Today was slightly better than yesterday, but it will be an ongoing process. The way I sound sometimes, you would think I had lost my job as well, and in some ways I have. Or perhaps my job lost me. Who really knows for sure? We are supposed to turn in ideas about how to make our jobs more efficient, and while I think about it, it makes me ponder how insignificant my job really is and why I am still there when better people were let go. I mean, I can do a bit of everything, though I prefer not to write anymore, and I feel I rise to the occasion when called upon to assign tasks to the division in my supervisor's absence. That can make me valuable, though I am sure anybody could step in and take my place if they really wanted to.
Switching gears, I bought tickets to go to the Suns/Hornets game that is on Wednesday. We got front row tickets in the upper level, so that should be decent. I will be sure to bore you all with the mundane details of the game tomorrow or the next day; however, I will try to give a warning beforehand as I have in the past, if I have a feeling that I will be descriptive about the game itself rather than the experiences that come with it. I say this while I actually read about wedding shopping/planning and about Barbie fairy princess details and even a Suzannah blog or two (I kid!). Backtracking, I am really excited, because I rarely go to Suns games, the last one being the Western Conference Finals against the Spurs in that magical first year that Steve Nash came back to town. Okay, that was a little much, sorry about that!
Moving backward a little farther, the Super Bowl party turned out to be fun. My former co-workers who were present had no resentment toward those in attendance who are still with the company, so it was nice to avoid any awkwardness. I actually learned a lot of new things about the people who were present...maybe a little more than I should know and that I could never repeat to anyone in good conscience, but it was still interesting nonetheless. It is nice that people would open up in that way, especially with me being the only male within earshot in most cases. I feel like I got closer to some of them, though I typically have trouble maintaining that level of closeness/friendship/what have you, because I play it safe...keep things simple. Maybe one day I will be more brave, but that is a story for another time...
My name is Brett Burkhart and I approved this message.
Good luck with your efficiency evaluation...I hope you come up with some good stuff. And don't say things like, 'Why wasn't I let go instead?' or maybe next time you WILL be. :) Thanks for the warning, I'll skip the post today about the game...
ReplyDelete