Sunday, February 10, 2008

Where's the Van?!?!?!

Considering that it is now early Sunday morning, yesterday evening I went to Daniel's bachelor party. We piled seven fully grown men into a van that had a capacity of about six and a half. It was a pretty decent time. I would have to say that my favorite part was dinner. We went to Dos Gringos out in Mesa, and....well the food wasn't very good at all, but the conversations were enjoyable...lots of laughs had by all. Duerk and Richie made it for a good portion dinner, and that was nice. I was able to settle my lunch debt with him, so that was nice. My memory escapes me for any particular highlights, but it appeared as though everyone had a great time. One thing I do remember was that if we had to go to the bathroom, we would make everyone to the left get out as the exit, and when we returned the right side was the entrance, so everyone on that side had to stand up to even it out. Also, our waitress looked like she was twelve.

Once the effects of Dos Gringos wore off, we made the trek in the clown van over to my neighborhood in Scottsdale, to go to the casino. I will preface by saying I am not a big fan of casinos. There are always weird people there, smoking, and it just seems depressing watching people throw their money away in hopes of winning big. After losing about two thirds of his chips, Daniel miraculously won it all back, and ended up seven dollars ahead. I was thoroughly impressed that he was able to make it last as long as it did, much less end up on top, even if only by a little. Jew also made a nice recovery after initially losing a fairly significant amount. However, going back to that long part coupled with me not possessing a great enthusiasm for casinos, I was hoping we would leave there soon. Whenever I get dragged to one, I almost immediately want to leave, especially out here. Just being there exhausted me tremendously, but since the guest of honor was having a good time, that is all that matters, and my distaste for it was an acceptable loss. Again, the company was good.

We eventually did leave that place, and headed over to another establishment that I did not particularly care for. Again, it was for the team, so I was willing to make that sacrifice. What actually helped pass the time was some girl nearby started talking to me and immediately decided that I wasn't creepy, likely because I was so young and charming. Apparently, some older drunk guys kept hitting on her, and it was freaking her out. After we started talking, they eventually went away and my objective was a success. That was a nice distraction for an hour. The night was winding down, and it was time to pack up the tents and move on.

That just about sums things up. We squeezed back into the van and departed for home(s). Since we were in Scottsdale, I was the first to go. I drew the short straw. More man talk ensued and soon enough, I was home safely. A special thanks goes to Matt Johnson for driving a majority of the evening. I hope things are okay for him. He has a long drive ahead of him tomorrow to deal with a family related issue. It was nice that he was able to join in the evening's festivities.

So, yeah, I was able to shake out a few more streams of words, but now I am officially brain dead for the time being and I am going to sleep.

Ciao.

5 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't have the guts to leave when Duerk and Richie did. Too bad you all didn't...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we would have gone to a Gameworks or a Dave & Buster's type of place afterward...anywhere else. Friday, I was trying to rationalize with the planner the fate of the evening following the dinner, but I guess it had already been approved. I did not want to go to those other places, but I felt that if it was going to happen that way, that it was my duty to be there, to watch over things, to know the facts, and to make sure everything was okay. Looking back, I wish I would have left early...it made me sad. It really made me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I like Duerk's suggestion for next bachelor party...go-kart racing! :)

    Oh, yeah, and the V-day B-day party thing is at our house....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dinner was fun. The food was decent, maybe a little bland. The waitress did look like she was 12.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny, it doesn't seem like anyone really had a great time after the dinner. Dan told me that he isn't a huge fan of casinos either and I bet he would have had a lot more fun at Dave & Busters. But don't tell Matt.

    ReplyDelete