Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Twice Stung... (A Tale of Two Brett's)

Yesterday, I mentioned that I was going to the Suns/Hornets game tonight. Unfortunately, that did not come to pass, as my friend who purchased the tickets actually did not buy them, because he accidentally bought a new big screen on the same account that his mortgage went through and he was overdrawn. I won't go into a ton of details, but this game had to have been one of the most thrilling games of the year. It went into double overtime because of a bunch of last minute shots by the Suns to tie it, and it almost went to a third overtime on another Suns three pointer, but the Hornets went down and scored right after that as the buzzer sounded.

And I missed it. Not only did I miss it, but they lost. Well, I watched it on television, but just imagine being there. Let me put it in another way for some of you. It would have been like missing your kid's recital...I mean obviously not the same, because that would make you a bad person for missing it, but I feel a similar kind of loss by not going to a game I should have been at. I don't have kids, so I have other outlets that are important to me.

Instead of going to the game, I met my friend Erik over at a pool hall, because he was hanging out with another friend, coincidentally named Brett. After both of us expressed our relief that the other Brett has two t's (a common ritual in the world of Brett's), we all sat down and chatter-boxed into the early hours of the evening. Brett #2 was an older man, a grandfather who works for the air guard, and he appears to be a bit of an alcoholic. He kept buying Erik drinks, so I had to drive him to the next place where we had sushi. Let me tell you, I am not a big sushi fan at all, but there are some items that are spectacular. Tonight, we struck gold in the sushi department. However, once again, Alkie-Brett insists on having saki bombs, and since my friend was having a rough day at work, he obliges again...and again....and again.

As the night goes on, I can tell he is getting hammered, but in a way, it is almost refreshing to me, because a lot of times he can just be so uptight and negative about certain things. This was one of those few times where my stone cold sober persona had a good time with two near-idiot drunkards. Erik is usually responsible, but he figured since I was around, he would unwind a little, since I was driving him. We learned bits and pieces of Japanese from our waitress, and Elderly-Brett flirted with her since he was a regular. It is funny watching older people flirt with younger women, but he was actually very casual and impressive for a grandpa. Several shots, morsels of sushi, and high pitched laughs later, and Bretticus - the DD for the night - saved the day. Then we watched the rest of the Suns game with our friend Rusty, and more hilarity ensued.

Three McFlurries were harmed during the events in this tale.

3 comments:

  1. And you missed Shaq getting introduced as a Phoenix Sun..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your post title. You're pretty creative, you know?

    I'm glad you were the responsible one. You saved some brain cells...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Brett... :)

    I'm glad that you liked your sushi. :)

    ReplyDelete