Monday, January 07, 2008

A Morning's Events

Well, today started off a little bit oddly. Monday is trash day, and we (my roommate and I) had our can full of trash as well as the trash can in the kitchen. Basically, there was no room for more trash. I was throwing scraps away in my little bathroom can. There was no way we could allow ourselves to miss the trash man today. The problem is that the garbage is normally collected by the time I get out of the shower, so I try to remember to bring it out Sunday night. Per the usual, I forgot and was beginning my daily routine as I heard a loud vehicle that sounded like the garbage truck approaching.

I scrambled over to the door to see it a couple houses away from ours, so I scurried back to my room to put on my sandals and ran back toward the garage. I then skid and turned around because, while it is only the garbage man, I was not wearing a shirt. He deserves better than that! (Sidenote: The reason for the lack of a shirt was because I was washing whites the night before, so I took off my undershirt to clean that as well, and I did not want to sully a clean shirt; however, I also did not want to wear a dirty shirt to bed.) As I was in the middle of my about face, one of my sandals slipped off! I started to turn to retrieve it when I thought that could wait until my return to the garage, so a hobbled to my room, grabbed a shirt from the hamper (don't worry, I was dirty and smelly anyway...and I showered afterward), and tripped my way back over to the garage.

With two functional sandals on my feet, I grabbed the garbage can, recklessly slid it between the two cars in the garage, and I raced down the driveway for the garbage man, who was just about to pass my house. I was not going to fail! Not this time! Noticing my desperation, the driver came to a sudden stop and backed up slightly for me to lend him my can for a moment. I didn't put it close enough because I thought the claw on the side of the truck was a super claw and would extend to snatch my can, but I quickly found out that it wasn't, as the driver pointed at me to push the can that much closer. Having felt my deed for the day was done, I strutted back to the garage, can in tow, feeling cocky and laughing at myself for the events that had just occurred.

That was my adventure for the day. Additionally, my chin is now bare. I decided to shave my goatee. The mustache part was driving me crazy. It is the first time I had ever sported the full goatee, and it was time for it to go. Originally, I was planning on just shaving the beard and keeping the mustache for a day as a joke, but I just couldn't do it. I looked at it with some chops and as just a plain mustache, and while it was quite humorous, I did not want to come into work with it. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures to document the transformation, so I cannot fully prove that it ever happened, other than the pillaging of my chin and upper lip.

2 comments:

  1. FINALLY I was invited. I kept feeling rejected everytime I tried to click the link...You're a very entertaing writer. I enjoyed the trash story. I have had similar moments, running after the trash man in desperation! Glad you made it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops I posted as Molly...

    It was entertaining. Funny how an escapade with a garbage truck can be entertaining but it is.

    ReplyDelete